System Design and Integration
A Total AV/IT-Integrated SolutionThe media has been calling its design “sexy.” We like to focus more on its environmental sustainability features. But whatever it is that first draws you to Canada’s New Meeting Place, it’s the myriad of technological capabilities it offers to meetings and events that will keep you there.
When AVW-TELAV designed the audio visual systems for the Ottawa Convention Centre (OCC), our extensive understanding of the ever-increasing convergence of AV and IT allowed us to provide a sophisticated overall communication solution throughout the grand facility. All of the AV, communications, and building systems inside the OCC communicate over a single IT network backbone, allowing an integrated approach to management of all the facility’s technology-related needs.
OCC State-of-the-Art Technology Overview
• AVW-TELAV provided permanently installed projection screens, video signal distribution, and distributed audio systems in all meeting and pre-function spaces – so there will never be cables duct taped across the floor to a projector sitting on a cart in the middle of the room.
• Eight-inch wall mounted Crestron touch panels allow for central control of AV, lighting, and climate in all meeting spaces, giving guests full control of their meeting environment.
• Custom work was also done with both the control system (Crestron ) and telephony system (Mitel) manufacturers to make the touch panels act as room telephones, allowing voice communications to OCC support services (i.e. security, catering, janitorial, etc.) for room users.
• Two wireless touch panels allow for portable control throughout the facility of any room’s technology systems.
• Small 24" digital signage displays are installed at each meeting room entrance for display of room-by-room event information fed directly from the OCC’s room-booking software.
• Larger 52" displays are installed in the lobby and throughout pre-function areas for overall schedule display, location and way finding, sponsorship and advertising.
• WiFi and wired network internet access is available throughout the facility.
• A VOIP-based telephony system serves both the core needs of the facility and its operations and has the flexibility to expand and cater to advanced guest and event requirements.
• Each meeting space features motion sensors. In conjunction with a custom interface to the EBMS room scheduling software, they validate room status and shut off AV, lighting, and HVAC for energy savings when the room is not in use.
After over two years under construction, this spectacular new building finally takes its place as one of Canada’s new architectural wonders. AVW-TELAV is proud to have been a part of the design team for this Canadian marvel. For more information on the Ottawa Convention Centre, visit www.ottawaconventioncentre.com.